More details on Metacafe
So let me hazard a few numbers:
- Metacafe must have about 15M Real Uniques in total, judging by the PV numbers
- A UMV is worth somewhere between $50 (YHOO) and $16 (CNET)
- YouTube was $23 / UMV at the time of acquisition
- And Metacafe is not growing so no premium for growth
- Metacafe has less reach than YouTube in all markets
- So $250-300M sounds like the right range
As for the $700M, that is supposedly where the bankers initially pitched the deal. Probably thinking about Facebook’s cool $1BN rumour.
[UPDATE: yNetNews is more definitive about the price being $200M. The orginal Globes story adds the drama of a sudden departure of founder for the US "to close the deal", thought they should check their facts — Sequoia most definitely is not behind Meta :-)]
[UPDATE: Pete Cashmore says $200M is a steal. I agree the low end of the range is cheap, but I don’t think the 17M unique he reports are worth $600-700M. I really cannot see why the buyer would pay a premium per UMV on YouTube without more growth or more reach].
[UPDATE: And finally this press release says 16M uniques according to Comscore. Hmmm. That means the real number of uniques is probably much higher. I think that’s enough speculation for one night…]
Technorati Tags: metacafe